About Me

Head of Lower School at La Jolla Country Day School (mbaier@ljcds.org)

Monday, November 10, 2014

History and Sacrifice



Listen my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I spent the week of October 27-30th in Boston, Massachusetts.  I was fortunate to be able to attend the ERB (Educational Records Bureau) Conference there.  The conference was a wonderful learning opportunity for me, but visiting Boston really made it a special event.  I had never been to Boston before and am still in awe of the history I was able to experience.  Walking the cobblestone streets and visiting places like the Old North Church, Paul Revere’s House and the site of the Boston Tea Party (to name a few) was really inspiring.  




I have to admit, I often take for granted what it means to be an American.  I don’t think on a regular basis about the sacrifices that have occurred over time to allow me to live the life I do today.  Walking around Boston and soaking up the history really helped me remember the patriots who gave everything they had to create our country.  It is significant to talk about this topic in preparation for Veterans Day.  While not everyone can take a trip to soak up the historical significance of our country, we probably all know a veteran who sacrificed more than we will ever be able to understand to protect the achievements of those patriots from so long ago.  Take a moment to reflect and reach out to say thank you.

Eagle Ridge Academy will be hosting our annual Veterans Day programs.  If you have time on Tuesday, November 11th please feel to come to school to see one of our programs.  They are divided by grade level and will last between 20-25 minutes.  The times are listed on the Eagle Ridge Academy website.  

The winners of last week's Pillar Ticket drawing are below.  The students were allowed to pick a staff member that they wanted to enjoy lunch with one day.  

Kensley Mc.- Mrs. Mills
Harshada J.- Mrs. Merritt
Greta L.- Mr. Schloesser
Matthew D.- Ms. Orr
Junior O.- Mrs. Trow
Have a wonderful week!
Mrs. Baier

No comments:

Post a Comment